Easy Entertaining: Host an Afternoon Tea Party at Home with this party guide and Tea Sandwiches recipe!
“Come along inside… We’ll see if tea and buns can make the world a better place.”– Kenneth Grahame
There’s something special about afternoon tea parties. They’re indulgent and evoke images of fancy hotels and sipping tea with raised pinky fingers. Although we’re not socializing much in person these days, there’s no reason we can’t host a fun afternoon tea party. Turn on Zoom and share virtually with friends. Celebrate Mother’s Day, birthdays, baby showers or simply any day of the week! Get your girlfriends together, in person if allowed or virtually, and enjoy. Everyone can brew their favorite tea, make creative tea sandwiches and pop open a bottle of your favorite bubbles!
Travel Inspiration: Orlando’s Luxury Resorts
My parties and recipes are always inspired by travel. Fancy Afternoon Teas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort, the Waldorf Astoria Orlando and Ritz Carlton Orlando have been some of my favorite ways to celebrate special occasions with girlfriends. And you can bet I absolutely loved researching this article for Signature Magazine featuring Orlando’s best Luxury Afternoon Tea experiences!
I can’t wait to be able to gather with friends and celebrate at Orlando’s finest luxury resorts. Until then, let’s keep the travel dream alive. This easy afternoon tea party guide should help.
What You Need For An Easy Tea Party at Home
What Food to Serve at Your Tea Party?
There aren’t any hard fast rules about what food to serve at your tea party. Tea sandwiches are a must. And practically anything goes regarding what kind of bread you use or what you top them with. Using a tiered tray, you would typically have a tier of sandwiches, a tier of sweets and a tier of scones, mini croissants or biscuits with jam and clotted cream.
A few tea sandwiches ideas:
- Cucumber and herbed cream cheese (see below recipe)
- Radishes and herbed cream cheese (see below recipe)
- Strawberries and cream cheese topped with fresh mint
- Egg salad on pumpernickel
- Curry Chicken Salad on wheat
- Smoked salmon and cream cheese topped with fresh dill
For a classic afternoon tea party, bake some scones and serve with lemon curd, jam and clotted cream. You can always go the easy route and bake Pillsbury Grands Biscuits. It’s not traditional. But definitely delicious!
To complete your tea party menu, add some sweet treats. You could bake mini tarts, petite cakes , bake cupcakes or cookies, or simply buy these colorful store bought meringues.
Make a classic dessert with a twist like my Berry Nutty Eton Mess. The layered parfait of whipped cream, strawberry sauce, fresh strawberries and meringues is scrumptious. It also looks much more elaborate than it actually is so you can impress your friends.
What Beverages To Serve at Your Tea Party?
It’s a given you must serve hot or iced tea it for an Afternoon Tea Party. If you really want a party, pop open a bottle bubbles or Rosé. Guaranteed to turn any gathering into a celebration!
Drink ideas for your Afternoon Tea Party:
- Variety of Teas: it’s not a tea party without teas! Serve fragrant herbal and floral green teas. Perfect during Spring and Summer. Oolong, Rooibos and Black Teas are great in Fall and Winter. It’s always a good idea to offer a variety. Don’t forget to offer cream, sugar cubes and lemon wedges.
- Bubbles: Prosecco, Champagne or Cava, take your pick. They are all great. If you’re feeling festive, make some gorgeous sugar coated frozen grapes to garnish. This is the “bougiest” garnish ever!
- Rose: There’s a reason “Rose Every Day” has become a popular saying. A crisp dry Rose wine is a delightful pairing with tea party foods.
I’m enjoying the newly released CK Mondavi & Family Spritzed Rosé Moscato this Spring. It’s delightful, lightly sweet and fizzy with berry notes. Easy to to drink and only $6.99!! You can read more about it here. I disclose that I’m a CK Mondavi Ambassador. I truly enjoy their easy drinking great value wines and am happy to share them with you. This post is not sponsored.
- Make a pretty cocktail. This Rose Moscato Citrus Spritzer made with Gin, Rose Moscato and Grapefruit soda with a sugar rim is refreshing, light and absolutely girly!
What Else Do I Need for an Easy Afternoon Tea Party?
Part of setting the scene for your Afternoon Tea party involves your table set up. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Tea pot and vintage tea cups. They don’t have to be as fancy as the Waldorf’s Peacock ones. You can easily get mismatched patterns from a thrift store for that vintage chic look.
- A tiered cake stand is perfect for arranging your tea sandwiches and sweets.
- Lace doilies or linen napkins
- Small plates and silverware
Easy Tea Sandwiches Recipe
Have a tea party any day with these easy tea sandwiches! You can use a variety of toppings, spreads and breads. Add your favorite teas, a sweet treat and bubbles and enjoy a tea party at home for your birthday, Mother's Day, baby shower, bridal shower or just because. Enjoy!
- English Cucumber
- Sliced bread of your choice
- Herbed cream cheese (or plain cream cheese and add your own fresh herbs or chives.
- Fresh herbs for garnish (Dill, Thyme, Mint, Basil, etc)
- Thin slice English Cucumbers and Radishes. A mandoline works best but a sharp knife will do.
- Dab with a paper towel to remove moisture.
Spread herbed cream cheese on sliced bread, nicely cover to all four corners.
Place slices of cucumber on the bread, overlapping to cover up the bread slice entirely. Do the same with the radishes. When done, place a paper towel over it and press lightly to set in place.
Trim crust and slice In half.
Garnish with fresh herbs. I used dill & thyme.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
There is much comfort in the wise words of HRH Queen Elizabeth II. During her address to the nation in the midst of the covid-19 pandemic., she said:
“Better days will return. We will be with our friends again; we will be with our families again; we will meet again.”– HRH Queen Elizabeth II
Pin this post! Don’t forget to share with your girlfriends. Celebrate birthdays, Mother’s Day or simply the fact it’s whatever day it is! We will meet again.
I hope you’re inspired to celebrate at home and keep your travel dreams alive. #MakeSomedayHappen one delicious bite, sip and trip at a time. If you do make this recipe, please share on social media and tag @goepicurista #GoEpicRecipes. I would love to virtually clink glasses with you.
Disclosure: This post is written in partnership with Warner Brothers Pictures. As always, all opinions are my own. I only share with you products and experiences I love to inspire you to get together with family and friends, celebrate life and go #MakeSomedayHappen one delicious bite, sip, and trip at a time! To learn more about my guidelines, check out my disclosure policy. Cheers!