Guilt-Free, Healthy and Full of Flavor. This Travel Inspired Strawberry Pizza is perfect for your next party!
Florida Strawberry season is here! I’m proud to be collaborating once again with Florida Strawberry Growers Association to share deliciously fun and healthy recipes like my Rotisserie Chicken Strawberry Pizza, guaranteed to be a hit at your next get together.
We’re all thinking about healthy eating New Year’s resolutions and pizza may seem out of the question, but don’t worry. This recipe is a guilt-free indulgence featuring bold, savory and sweet flavors inspired by Spain’s Moorish cuisine. It’s easy and fast to prepare using ready-made Rotisserie chicken from your favorite grocery store and whole grain Naan bread, perfect for easy entertaining. The addition of fresh Florida Strawberries adds beautiful color, flavor and loads of healthy benefits.
Florida Strawberry Health Benefits
You can find Florida Strawberries in grocery stores along the East coast from November thru May. Did you know Plant City, Florida is recognized worldwide as the “Winter Strawberry Capital of the World” and the dominant U.S. region producing strawberries in the winter?
We are lucky to get these super fresh strawberries this time of year. They are sweeter and richer in color but did you know Florida Strawberries also pack plenty of health benefits? Eight medium strawberries contain more vitamin C than an orange. Strawberries are virtually fat-free, contain no cholesterol and are an excellent source of folic acid, which helps the body metabolize protein.
Plus, they are low in calories (about 45 calories in a one cup serving) and high in essential nutrients and minerals including fiber, potassium and powerful antioxidants such as anthocyanins, quercetin and ellagic acid (believed to help reduce the risk of cancer).
Get creative and add a cup of strawberries to your recipes and you’ll be upping the healthy factor of your favorite appetizers, entrees, salads and desserts! This Strawberry Pizza brings you all this healthy goodness.
You can learn more about strawberries’ nutritional benefits here.
Strawberry Pizza Travel Inspiration: Spain
Travel inspires what I eat, and what I eat inspires my travels. Food has that magical quality to create special unforgettable memories no matter where you go, especially when shared with family and friends. I often create recipes inspired by the restaurants I visit and the chefs I meet to keep my travel dreams alive. This Rotisserie Chicken Strawberry Pizza is no exception.
Spain has a special place in my heart. Ever since I visited as a teenager and fell in love with the food, the rich history and the people, I’ve dreamt of returning. A Mediterranean cruise sailing from Barcelona, Spain’s hub for foodie action, has been on my “someday list” for years. I’m so excited and can’t wait to finally check it off the list in 2018! My mission to #MakeSomedayHappen continues.
As you can imagine, I love Spanish food – the hearty paellas, the refreshing sangrias, the variety of tapas and small plates, the salty jamon Iberico and so much more. During my last visit to Tapa Toro, my favorite Spanish restaurant in Orlando, located at the base of the Orlando Eye, I sampled Chef Wendy Lopez’ new menu creations and was hooked on her “Coca Moruna.” It’s a hearty chicken flatbread, perfect for sharing as an appetizer or entree.
Chef Wendy creates some of the most flavorful and colorful dishes. It’s no surprise she’s been voted as one of the best chefs in town by Orlando Magazine readers. The Moorish influences in Spanish cuisine are prevalent in this dish where a Lavash cracker serves as flatbread topped with herbed yogurt, onion jam, golden raisins and slow cooked chicken. The mix of savory and sweet, fragrant spices and fresh flavors is absolutely addictive.
For my version, I’m offering some short cuts to make this an easy and fast recipe. The savory flavors come from ready-made rotisserie chicken given a shot of bold Moorish flavors with lots of spices including cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika and chili flakes.
Caramelized onions, golden raisins and Florida strawberries are added for a sweet contrast. Strawberries may seem an odd addition to a savory pizza but the fresh and sweet flavors of Florida strawberries is a perfect complement to the spiced chicken and the bright herb flavors in the yogurt sauce.
If you can get it, a sprinkle of sumac, a lemony spice used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cooking will give it a surprising pop. I used whole grain Naan bread instead of Lavash crackers as I had a tough time finding those in my grocery store. It’s still a tasty option but if you find Lavash, with its thin, crispy cracker-like texture, try it! It was so unique. Either of these options are lighter “pizza” options than using pizza dough. If you are gluten free, you can also find your favorite GF alternative.
I’m always looking to keep entertaining fast and easy but if you have time, you can always make your own dough or lavash and rotisserie chicken too. I like to think of my recipes as guidelines and inspiration. Feel free to create your own version.
This healthy and flavorful recipe uses grocery store Rotisserie Chicken seasoned with Moorish spices, caramelized onions, and fresh Florida Strawberries atop Naan flatbread, Lavash Cracker or your favorite pizza dough for a guilt-free, easy recipe perfect for entertaining.
- 4 Naan flatbreads ( or (1) 15” Lavash Cracker round
- Herbed yogurt, see recipe below
- Moorish Spiced Rotisserie Chicken, see recipe below
- 1 cup Florida strawberries, sliced
- 1 large Vidalia sweet onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch sumac spice
- fresh cilantro garnish
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 pinch red chili pepper flakes
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ Rotisserie chicken, white and dark meat shredded
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- pinch crushed fennel seeds
- pinch red chili pepper flakes
- pinch nutmeg
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Shred meat from ½ rotisserie chicken including breast, thighs and legs, deboned with skin and gristle removed. (about 2 cups), set aside.
- In a sauce pan, combine chicken stock, spices and raisins, bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, add diced meat to the spiced stock and simmer on low heat until liquid has reduced.
- Add olive oil to skillet and sautee sliced onions on low heat for 15 minutes, until caramelized.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- Sprinkle Naan bread lightly with water, warm in oven for 2-3 minutes. (If using Lavash cracker, skip the oven)
- Spread an even layer of herbed yogurt on bread.
- Top with warm Moorish Spiced Rotisserie chicken meat, caramelized onions, sliced strawberries, sprinkle of sumac spice and fresh cilantro garnish.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Healthy Family Recipes Using Strawberries
Healthy Strawberry Appetizers
- Chicken and Strawberry Caprese Wonton Cups by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Avocado Pinwheels by Helpful Homemade
- Strawberry Avocado Toast by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Balsamic Flatbread by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Shrimp Ceviche Cocktail by Soulfully Made
Healthy Strawberry Salads
- Strawberry Avocado Salad with Fresh Mozzarella and Walnuts by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Strawberry Chicken Spinach Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Strawberry Pasta Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Quinoa Salad with Feta Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Spinach Feta Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Wild Rice Salad with Strawberries by Sunday Supper Movement
Healthy Strawberry Main Dishes
- Chicken with Strawberry Satay Sauce by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Rotisserie Chicken Strawberry Pizza by Go Epicurista
- Strawberry Balsamic Chicken by Flour On My Face
- Strawberry Glazed Salmon by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Healthy Strawberry Desserts
- Chamomile Strawberry Chia Pudding by Mid-Life Croissant
- Frozen Strawberry Chocolate Yogurt Bark by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Paleo Strawberry Cobbler by Pies and Plots
- Strawberry Oatmeal Bars by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Pavlova with Coconut Cream by Recipes Food and Cooking
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
I hope you’ll be inspired to treat your family and friends to my Rotisserie Chicken Strawberry Pizza. If you do, please share your photos and tag @goepicurista #GoEpicRecipe on Instagram and Facebook. It’s a thrill to hear your feedback and that I helped inspire you to celebrate and “Make Someday Happen” so please leave a comment below.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. As always, all opinions are my own and I only partner with brands I love and enjoy in hopes to inspire you to go “Make Someday Happen” one delicious bite, sip and trip at a time. Thank you for supporting those who support my mission at GoEpicurista.com For more about my guidelines, read my disclosure policy. Cheers!